-Alan Perlis
NOTE: THIS PROJECT IS GOOD AND DEAD.
I'm now beginning work on an open source package--working title "freeregr"--to provide a basic interpreter for the Stata statistical analysis language. This is my first free software project, and I'm not at all sure how far it will go, but my goal is to provide basic multiple regression capabilities and data manipulation.
freeregr will:
- Get me more familiar with the actual math behind regression analysis. The big criticism of Stata is that it is a black box, and I used Stata to learn econometrics. So hopefully I'll gain a more fundamental understanding.
- Provide a resource to job applicants who would like to acquire basic Stata skills but don't have access to a Stata license.
- Stick it to the proprietary software Man.
Stata predominates in economics, and apparently it is also used in bioinformatics. Many RA positions require Stata proficiency and it is a staple of undergraduate economics classes.
If you are interested in signing on, let me know. freeregr should show up on Github in the next few days...
No comments:
Post a Comment